Fluorescent Lights

Lewis County offers a recycling program for fluorescent lights and high intensity discharge lights from within Lewis County.

To find out more information regarding light-recycle Washington click this link. http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/mercurylights/

The County offers two collection sites:

  • Central Transfer Station located at 1411 South Tower Avenue, Centralia. Fluorescent and high intensity discharge lights may be dropped off at the Hazo Hut every Wednesday and the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each month, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • East Lewis County Transfer Station located at 6745 US Hwy 12, Morton. Call 360-740-1221 to speak with the Hazardous Waste Coordinator.

Lewis County offers FREE recycling to homeowners and businesses when 10 or less lights are recycled per visit. NOTE: BUSINESSES MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO RECYCLE FLUORESCENT LIGHTS. CALL 360-740-1221 for an APPOINTMENT TODAY! For more information click here; http://lightrecyclewa.org/

Please do not bring incandescent lights. These should be thrown away with your garbage.

The following fees apply if more than 10 lights are recycled in one day.

  • 4 foot straight light -- $0.40 each
  • 8 foot straight light -- $0.80 each
  • 6 foot straight light -- $0.60 each
  • Compact fluorescent light -- $0.50 each
  • U-tube light -- $1.00 each
  • High intensity discharge light -- $1.00 each
  • Specialty light -- $2.50 each

Lewis County uses EcoLights NW to recycle the lights.

When you break a fluorescent light:

  • Open the windows and leave the room for 15 minutes.
  • Return to the room with a plastic ziplock bag, tape and a wet sponge
  • Use the tape to pick up the broken pieces. Place the broken pieces in the bag.
  • Use more tape to pickup the dust. Do not use a vacuum. Place the tape in the bag.
  • Use a wet sponge to clean the area. Place the sponge in a bag.
  • Take the bags to the Hazo Hut for proper disposal. See the Hazo Hut pages for hours and location.

For more information call the Hazardous Waste Program Coordinator at 360-740-1221.