Veterans Relief Fund
The Veterans Advisory Board is held the first Wednesday of each month at 10:30 am in the 2nd Floor Conference Room of the Lewis County Public Health and Social Services building. This is an open meeting and the public is welcome.
Veterans' Relief Fund
Veterans or spouses of veterans may be eligible for assistance through the Veterans Relief Fund. Possible help includes:
- Funeral Expenses
- Emergency Medical Expenses
- Food Vouchers
- Gas Vouchers
Qualifying applicants may receive:
- Funeral assistance up to $1,000
- Rent/Housing assistance up to $1,000 or 75% of rent, whichever is lower
- Up to $500 (no money is given to the applicant) in assistance for categories other than funeral expenses or housing.
To apply for veterans' benefit services, please complete an application and gather all of the acceptable documentation:
- DD214 (Under honorable discharges only)
- Washington State Driver's License or Picture ID
- Proof of Washington residence for one year
- Spouse's ID or Marriage Certificate
- Birth certificate for all dependents
- Proof of income (check stub or bank statement) OR Lack of income (if you have no income you will need to prove it, example: income tax return/bank statement). Please see income eligibility table below.
- Original bill to be paid for utilities
- Original bill for funeral expenses
- Rent - must have a W-9 (provided by the County upon request) and a copy of the rental agreement, signed by the landlord. A relative of the veteran does not qualify as a bona fide landlord.
Call the Veterans' Benefits Specialist, 360-740-1417, to schedule an appointment to submit your application or you may bring in your application 9am-3pm Monday through Thursday. All applications are reviewed and determination is made on a case by case basis.
Income Eligibility Table
The attached table is used to determine if you qualify for the Veterans' Relief Fund; if you do not fall within these guidelines, you will not be eligible for the program. You may be eligible for other benefits.
For questions call Heidi Palmer at 360-740-1417 or 1-800-562-6130.