Treasurer's FAQ

When are property tax statements mailed?

Property tax statements are mailed approximately February 14 each calendar year.

What is the mailing address for the Treasurer's office?

Our mailing address is PO Box 509, Chehalis WA 98532. If you are sending us something via FedEx or UPS, you may use our physical address which is 351 NW North St, Chehalis WA 98532.

What are the office hours of the Treasurer's office?

Our office is open to the public Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. We are closed daily from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM.

When are my property taxes due?

  • First half tax is due on or before April 30.
  • Second half is due on or before October 31.
  • If either date falls on a Saturday or Sunday; the payment is due the following Monday.

Can I pay my property taxes with a credit card?

Yes, you can pay with a credit or debit card. You may make the payment in person at the treasurer's office or by clicking here.

Caution: There is a fee charged by the processing company for this service. The amount of the fee will be disclosed before you finalize the transaction. The treasurer's office does not receive any part of this fee.

What is the interest and penalty if I don't pay my taxes on time?

Interest is 1% per month and is applied to your unpaid tax due amount the first day of each month. If you miss your April 30 payment you can pay at any time before October 31 and stop the interest and penalty by paying the first half plus any interest and penalty due.

If your payment is still delinquent on June 1 there is a one-time 3% penalty applied to the full tax amount due.

If your payment is delinquent on December 1 there is an additional one-time 8% applied to the full tax amount due.

If my taxes are paid by my mortgage company, will I receive a tax statement?

No, your taxes are billed to your mortgage company or tax service. The amount paid on your behalf should be disclosed to you on your annual statement from them. You may phone the treasurer's office at 360-740-1115 to request a duplicate statement.

What if I mail my property tax payment?

Mailed payments are considered received AS OF THE DATE POSTMARKED BY THE US POSTAL SERVICE. Dates imprinted by a postage meter do not comply. It is important to note that the post office no longer guarantees a postmark of the same date your payment is mailed. Please allow more than one day.

What if I have more than one year's delinquent taxes, do I have to pay it all at once?

You can pay for one full year's delinquent taxes, interest and penalty without paying all years due. We recommend paying the oldest year due in order to avoid the foreclosure sale process.

When are personal property taxes due?

Personal property taxes are those parcels with a number that begins with "7" - this is true for both mobile homes and business/farm equipment.

Business personal property taxes are due and payable current year. If the first half tax due is not paid by April 30 then the tax is considered delinquent and the full year's amount including interest and penalty is now due and payable.

Personal property taxes not paid by April 30 immediately go into the distraint collection process - you will be notified by a certified letter.

Delinquent taxes on Mobile Homes classified as personal property can be brought current by paying first half and all interest and penalty due. Interest and penalty is calculated on the full year's amount.

If my real property taxes are delinquent, when will the county sell the property?

Real property must be three years delinquent before the county will begin the foreclosure process.

When the county begins the process to foreclose and sell the property you will be notified by a certified letter. Up until the time the county certifies to court you can remove your property from the foreclosure process by paying the full amount due for the oldest year including any interest, penalty and costs.

The county cannot go to sale without certifying the delinquency to the court. You will be notified again when the property has been certified to court which means you will not be able to remove the property from the sale without paying all year's taxes, interest, penalty and costs due.

If I don't qualify for a tax exemption, are there any other options for me?

The state also has a tax deferral program. Please click here for more information.

Caution: Any deferred taxes will become a lien on your property which must be paid upon sale of the property.

What is the Forest Patrol Assessment?

Per RCW 76.04.600 - forest patrol is an assessment that is levied on rural parcels that the Department of Natural Resources protects from wildfires.

Assessment revenues are used by the Department of Natural Resources for fire suppression and fire fighting in unincorporated areas.

Under current law you are only responsible for paying the base fee of $17.50 on one parcel of land under the same legal ownership, plus 27 cents per acre for total acreage over 50 acres. If you are charged for multiple parcels you can apply for a refund. Please click here for the refund request form.

What are the qualifications for a Senior Exemption?

To qualify you must:

  • Own and occupy the home.
  • Be 61 years of age or older on December 31 in the year you apply, or unable to work because of a disability.
  • Have an income of $40,000 or less.
  • Apply annually at the Assessor's Office.

Please click here for more information.

What should I do if I feel my property assessed value is too high?

All concerns about your assessed value should be addressed to the Assessor's office. The phone number is 360-740-1392.

You can also appeal to the County Board of Equalization. For more information about this process, please click here.

Can I make partial payments on my Property Taxes?

Payments received for less than tax due will be returned. If full payment is not received before tax due date; the payment will be treated as delinquent.

If I have delinquent taxes for a prior year, can I make payments?

No, only current year taxes can be paid in two installments. Payments for a prior year delinquent taxes must include the full tax, interest and penalty.