Food Safety Program

Washington State Retail Food Code

The Washington State Retail Food Code addresses current foodborne illness risks and the best methods for prevention in restaurants and many other types of food service establishments.

Most food establishments are now required to have a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) on staff. The CFPM must train each person in charge of implementing relevant food safety procedures. The CFPM does not have to be on site at all times, but does need to be available for training and consultation as needed. There are several organizations approved to issue CFPM certification, each with their own training and testing options.

Very low risk food establishments are not required to have a CFPM on staff.

The food code, as well as some great information to help food establishment operators meet requirements, is available here.

Please contact (360) 740-1222 if you have any questions.

Food Worker Cards

The food worker manual and food worker cards can be obtained online by completing the Washington State Food Worker Course, a training program on food safety developed by Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department.

Please Note: Our department no longer offers food worker card classes. However, for a small fee, we are able to print the card after class completing.

Link to Online Class:

Please call 360-740-2747 if you have any questions or concerns.

Permanent Food Establishments

If you would like to open a new grocery store, restaurant, or other type of food service establishment, please contact 360-740-2747 to request an application packet. The packet includes instructions for completing the process, but if you have additional questions, it may help to speak with a health inspector.

**Please Note: Application packets should be submitted at least 30 days before you plan to operate to allow time for review and any corrections that may be required.

Temporary Food Establishments

If you would like to provide food or beverages at a temporary event, such as a fair or festival, a temporary event permit is required. Please review the Temporary Food Establishment Requirements document below and then complete the application.

**Please Note: Applications should be submitted at least two weeks before your event whenever possible.

Temporary Food Establishment Permit Application

Completed applications may be submitted directly to our office or faxed to 360-740-1438.

Exemption from Permitting

Some foods may be offered without a permit, as long as a few simple food safety steps are followed. Please submit the following form to our office if you'd like to serve one of these items.

Permit Exemption Application

Food Sampling - Courtesy Applications

If you would like to provide samples of commercially prepared foods that do not require refrigeration, like cookies or candies, please submit the following Courtesy Application. There is no charge for this.

Courtesy Application

Farmer's Market Coordinators

Temporary food vendors may also operate up to 3 days per week at approved farmers markets. Please review the Farmers Market Coordinator Application below and then complete the application. The application will be reviewed as quickly as possible, and we will let you know when your application is approved or if additional information is needed.

**Please Note: Application packets should be submitted at least 30 days before you'd like to add permitted food vendors to your market.

Once a farmers' market is approved, temporary food establishment operators/vendors may submit applications, which will be reviewed based on each market's specific operations.

A new Farmers Market Coordinator application must be submitted each year.

Farmer's Market Coordinator Application