New Medical Deductions for Senior/Disabled Program per Substitute House Bill 1438
The Washington State Legislature in 2021 passed Substitute bill 1438 which adds to the list of medical deductions from gross income calculations for the Senior/Disabled program. The following items can now be deducted.
- Costs related to medicare supplemental policies (Medigap)
- Durable medical equipment, mobility enhancing equipment, medically prescribed oxygen, and prosthetic.
- Long term care insurance
- Cost sharing amounts as defined in RCW 48.43.005 (such as copays and deductibles)
- Medicine of mineral, animal, and botanical origin prescribed, administered, dispensed, or used in the treatment of an individual by a person licensed under chapter 18.36A RCW.
- Ostomic Items
- Kidney dialysis devices
- Disposable devices used to deliver drugs for human use (such as syringes, tubing, and catheters)
If you have any questions about the changes in this bill or for other deductions from the income calculations please call the Assessor’s Office at (360) 740-1392.