Home  »   Public Works  »   Solid Waste FAQ

Solid Waste FAQ

Reuseable products save resources and money!

Cloth dish towels and hand towels replace single use paper towels saving thousands of trees.

Reuseable water bottles save energy, reduce garbage and roadside litter, and reduce the amount of plastic that gets recycled.

Reuseable lunch boxes save paper and plastic bags.

Gently used clothes can be given to a charitable group or a thrift store.

Furniture can be given to second hand stores.


Washington State law (WAC 173-433-130) forbids you from impacting your neighbors with smoke, odors or ash. 

Burning garbage causes air pollution as well as releasing toxic gases into the air.  Many people get sick each year from the smoke and toxic gases caused by burning garbage. 

 For more information or to report an illegal burn call the Southwest Clean Air Agency at 360-633-0709. 

Yes.  It is easier to discard your load if all the different types of waste are kept separate.

Load your appliances and tires first with your recyclables in the front of your truck bed or trailer.  Load your garbage at the rear of your truck bed or trailer. 

At the scale house let the attendant know you have tires, appliances, and recyclables to drop off.  You will be told to dump your garbage first.  Return to the scale house and pay.  Then proceed to the recycling area to recycle appliances, tires and recyclables.

Do not mix garbage with yard waste.  Mixed loads will be charged as garbage and you will not get a discounted rate for yard waste.  Also, the yard waste will be lost to the landfill.

Spent antifreeze may be recycled at the Centralia Transfer Station or the East Lewis County Transfer Station during normal operating hours.

This is a do-it-yourself service.  Please take your empty containers with you and dispose with your other garbage.

Used motor oil includes engine oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, gear oil, kerosene, diesel.

Absolutely no brake fluid, gasoline, solvents, paints or thinners.

Oil contaminated with small amounts of water or antifreeze (less than one gallon) can be recycled as used motor oil.

No.  These materials pose a threat to human health and the environment.  Hazardous waste must be turned into the Hazo Hut or a special hazardous waste collection event.

Examples of hazardous waste include:  

  1. Left over oil based paints and thinners
  2. Used oil and spent antifreeze
  3. Hazardous household cleaners including bleach, ammonia, phosphoric acid, hydrochloric acid and oxalic acid.
  4. Pool chemicals such as muriatic acid, bleach tablets
  5. Lawn and garden chemicals including 2,4-D and Diazinon                                            

You can only dispose of hazardous waste during operating hours of the Hazo Hut.

Paint and fluorescent lamps are accepted at the East Lewis County Transfer Station Monday - Saturday, 8:30 A.M. to 5 P.M. (Please no empty paint cans.)  You can also recycle used motor oil, spent antifreeze, car and truck batteries, rechargeable and alkaline batteries.  All of the above items are free to turn in.

Drop boxes do not accept hazardous waste of any type.

The hours of the Hazo Hut are:

Wednesdays  9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

First and Third Saturdays 9:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

Businesses must make an appointment!

The Hazo Hut is located at the Central Transfer Station:

1411 South Tower Avenue, Centralia, WA

Phone Number is 360-740-1221

Yes you can if you live in the following areas:

Centralia, Chehalis, Napavine, Winlock and rural Centralia, Chehalis.

Call 360-736-4769 for more information or to sign up.

You can place the following items in your commingled recycling container:

Cardboard, paperboard, newspaper, magazines, phone books, catalogs, waste paper (junk mail), aluminum cans, tin cans, #1 plastic bottles, #2 plastic bottles, yogurt cup, margarine tubs, cardboard milk and juice cartons.

Please rinse all containers and discard lids.  Flatten all cans and bottles. 

No plastic sacks. No strings.

No containers that  have been contaminated with hazardous materials.  No deli trays.

Latex paint is not a hazardous waste!  Latex paint is a liquid waste that cannot be disposed of in the garbage, the waste water treatment system, or the storm drain system.

Dispose of your latex paint in the following manner:

  • Use all paint on the current project.
  • Give leftover paint to a neighbor.
  • Call the local Habitat for Humanity project to see if they need paint.
  • Solidify the leftover paint, place the cans in a bag and dispose of as solid waste.

Solidify leftover

Yes you can!

Lewis County offers several options:

Central Transfer Station located at 1411 South Tower Avenue in Centralia.  Tipping fee is $60.00 per ton plusthe 3.6% state solid waste tax.

Chehalis residents canobtain a seasonal permit. Call 748-0721 for more information.

Centralia Residences can obtain a seasonal permit. Call 330 7512 for more information.

LeMay Inc offers a monthly curbside yard waste pickup. Call 736 4769 or 736 5282 for more information.

Free community chipping events. Call 740-1452 for upcoming dates and locations.