Recycling is the best way to preserve resources and to keep valuable materials out of landfills. Items such as cardboard, newspaper, magazines, plastic bottles, tin and aluminum cans can be easily collected, recycled and turned into new products. Recycling saves energy and reduces green house gas emissions. We ask everyone in Lewis County to do more to recycle!
In Lewis County, Solid Waste Services operates drop-off centers at the two transfer stations. For more information on drop-off recycling please see the Transfer Station Recycling page.
Free Community Glass Recycling Boxes
When the commingled curbside recycling program went into effect in Lewis County, glass was one commodity that was dropped from the program. In order to ensure glass bottles and jars are recycled a convenient system of community glass recycling boxes was set up. Please separate glass bottles and jars by color: clear, brown and green. The following is a list of locations:
- Central Transfer Station in Centralia
- Dick's Brewing Company in Centralia
- Forest Grange in Chehalis
- Mossyrock City Hall, (this site has been closed due to numerous contamination issues and the cost to dispose of the contaminated material)
- Sewer Treatment Plant in Pe Ell
- East Lewis County Transfer Station
- Packwood Senior Center/Community Center
Buy Back Recycling Centers
Buy back centers collect valuable commodities including newspaper and magazines, cardboard, aluminum cans and scrap steel. Depending on current market conditions these centers may pay you to turn in certain commodities.
- Hand-n-Hand Recycling, 206 Floral Street, Centralia, 360-736-3589
Curbside recycling offers residents the convenience of having their recycling picked up at their homes. Commingled curbside recycling is offered from Hwy 7 and the city of Morton to the county's western border. City of Chehalis residences now have commingled recycling as an option, for more information on neighborhood curbside programs please call the following businesses:
- Chehalis residents please call 360-748-1502
- All other county residents please call 360-736-3233
- Options for CFL's, Batteries, and Electronics from your Home please clink on this link for more information.