Home  »   Public Health  »   Veterans' Services

Veterans' Services

Veterans' Relief Fund

If you're a Veteran or a Veteran's spouse, you may be eligible for assistance from the Veterans' Relief Fund for:

  • Funeral expenses
  • Utilities
  • Rent

Each Veteran that qualifies could receive up to $450 (or whatever the maximum allowable amount is for the year) for rent or utilities. And, with acceptable documentation, $450 for burial or cremation costs will be approved for qualifying Veteran/dependent.

To apply for veterans' benefit services, please complete an application and gather all of the acceptable documentation:

  • DD214 (Under honorable discharges only)
  • Washington State Driver's License or Picture ID
  • Proof of Washington residence for one year
  • Spouse's ID or Marriage Certificate
  • Birth certificate for all dependents
  • Proof of income (check stub or bank statement) OR Lack of income (if you have no income you will need to prove it, example: income tax return/bank statement). Please see income eligibility table below.
  • Original bill to be paid for utilities
  • Original bill for funeral expenses
  • Rent - must have a W-9 (provided by the County upon request) and a copy of the rental agreement, signed by the landlord. A relative of the veteran does not qualify as a bona fide landlord.

Call the Veterans' Benefits Specialist, 360-740-1417, to schedule an appointment to submit your application. Applications will be accepted by appointment only. All applications are reviewed and determination is made on a case by case basis.

Income Eligibility Table

The attached tableis used to determine if you qualify for the Veterans' Relief Fund; if you do not fall within these guidelines, you will not be eligible for the program. You may be eligible for other benefits.

For questions call 360-740-1417, 360-740-1223 or 1-800-562-6130.